Monday, May 24, 2010

Important find: Sources for the Syllabus of Errors

Here's a post which I've just published at AQ:

***

While trying out the National Library of Australia's useful new "Trove" search service, I discovered perhaps the most valuable thing I've ever found on the web: A book collating all the Acts--Apostolic Letters, allocutions and so on--from which the errors condemned in Bl. Pius IX.'s Syllabus of Errors were excerpted. It is available here:

http://www.archive.org/details/actassdnpiippix00piusgoog

Here's a transcript of the title page:

A C T A



SS. D. N.



P I I P P. IX.



EX QUIBUS EXCERPTUS EST



SYLLABUS



EDITUS DIE VIII DECEMBRIS MDCCCLXIV




ROMAE

TYPIS REV. CAMERAE APOSTOLICAE

MDCCCLXV.


Now all I have to do is learn Latin! Seriously though, if anyone who knows Latin were to translate some or all of these Acts into English he (or she) would be doing a great service to English-speaking Catholics. Even if he were just to translate the Acts from which the most controversial errors were excerpted he would be giving us something of great value. (And if anyone's interested in doing so, I'd be happy to provide modest assistance by tidying up the optical character recognition transcript available on-line.)

***

Reginaldvs Cantvar
Monday in the Octave of Pentecost, A.D. 2010

No comments: